Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 body/74 pan Baja Bug, 1600 single port.
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 64 body on a 74 pan baja. It sat for 10 years (pretty ruff). I rebuilt the 1600cc single potr, new solex carb (jbugs), new electric fuel pump, synthetic lines, filter, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, and points.
The rub: It fires and Idles for a few seconds the first try then it won't fire. I have watched hundreds of videos, have Haynes book, and 2 friends with knowledge but no luck.
HELP!

·
Registered
320 Posts
You only need spark and fuel to run. I can't think if anything thst would stop the spark if it fires and idles ok. Can you look in top of carb and hit the throttle and see uf hoj have a spray of gas? If so start it and when it dies look again. I'm thinking maybe float set too low. You could install a pressure gage in fuel line and check the fuel delivery too. Is there a fuel regulator?

·
Registered
67 Bug. 2275cc, 10.1:1, 48IDA,Eagle2242Cam,2300Lb clutch, 3.85 diff. Lowered,roll bar, 5pt, swaybars
121 Posts
Do you mean it starts, idles for a few seconds then dies and will not start again? If it does not immediately start again, how long do you have to wait before it fires up again?

Electric fuel pumps can bring their own problems. If the pressure is too high the engine might start but then over-fill the carb and flood the engine till it dies, then be nearly impossible to restart till the fuel evaporates away. The needle/seat in most carbs have a limited ability to control fuel flow. Most factory carbs can withstand about 3 or 4 pounds of pressure before they give way. The solex should be about 2 or 3 PSI max. If the pressure is too low, the engine might start then starve and die. In that case you may have to turn on the ignition, count to ten and try again. You also need to make sure the electric fuel pump is actually running (pumping fuel) after it has been running a few seconds.

It is possible there is a blockage in the fuel filter, line or the needle/seat in the carb. Could be rust in the tank or a kink in the fuel line coming out of the tank. You did replace the fuel, right? Ten year old fuel, even with a little Stable in it can go bad and introduce a varnish like substance into the fuel system.

Then again it could be with the coil. If the coil has a couple of shorted turns inside, the engine might start and the coil might quickly overheat and stop working. After cooling down, the coil might work again.

You have replaced a lot of parts so it makes it hard to guess which might be bad. I would probably rule out the rotor, plugs, points, cap and wires for now. New solex carbs can be bad and should be checked over before installing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts