Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
3K views 13 replies 2 participants last post by  briano1234 
#1 ·
Good day,

81 1.6TD 5 speed.

Tail lights went out the other day. replaced but still dont work, the license plate lights went out few weeks before and i replaced them but now they are out and so are the tail lights......Brake lights work tho!!!?

Thanks to the military police the issue was brought to my attention:rolleyes:

#2 ·
Key on.
Headlight switch on.
With a DVOM measure for 12V at the bulbs.
Do you have a fuse or 3 out, and or a break in the wires. f13, f14, f12
Are the front running lights on when you turn on the lights?

Brake lights and running lights use the same grounds but different power.
So we have to source the power.
If the fuses are good then we need to suspect the headlight switch.
You need to remove the switch and verify that power is on there.

#3 ·
With the car on headlight switch pulled out i have headlights on...
brake peddle not depressed no running tails and 0.00 on the voltmeter
pressed, 12.xx

also noticed the license plate lights are still out and bulbs are good.
are they on a relay or a fuse because my whole box is labeled and none are "tail lights" fuse

#5 ·
No a fuse that blows is a sign that the wires from the fuse to the lamps have shorted to ground.

With the bulbs out, (all of them) replace the fuse and turn on the lights.
If the fuse blows again, then it is either the switch internally, or the wires that run from the fuse box to the rear are chaffed and touching ground.
You can (key) off fuse out. headlight switch on
Measure the fuse socket for 12V, the side that has 12v is towards the battery.
The side that has open or no 12 is heading to the lamps.
Measure resistance between the (non-12v side of the fuse, and the frame. If it is close to zero, you have some wire inspection to do.
It could be as simple as one of the socket wires has broken, and is shorting from frame to ground inside of the socket, or a chaffed or broken wire that runs the length of the car.

The wires usually run along the drivers side of the car under the carpet (next to the driver seat rail) to the back of the car.

If it is the headlight switch then we need to know if you have the pull style switch or the rocker type switch, Round knob like the cold start switch, or rocker like the hazard.

#7 ·
Depends on which diagram I read. One has the 12v prior to the switch, and others has 12V after the switch.

The license lights and the parking/tail lights are all powered off the switch.
If it is the switch then you can cut and by-pass that so which fuse or fuses blew?

Take all the bulbs out of the sockets and see if the fuse or fuses still blow.

#10 ·
The switch styles are different.

I don't have my manuals handy as I am at work. But when that happened to me many years ago, I re-wired the switch so my lights were always on as I was driving, and Turned off when I removed the key.

DRL's before they were popular. :)
http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,carcode,1430483,parttype,4472

#12 ·
Over amping a fuse is a good way to have a wiring fire.

#14 ·
Replace your battery to frame and frame to engine/tranny ground.
Then find the grounds for the rear lights, and clean them or remake the connections at the bumper bolts in the trunk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.