Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks!

Im driving to Pittburgh in December. Just wondering what is the max you can go without getting yanked by the porkers.

Say the Speed limit id 65, is 75 ok? Here in Canada if you were going 100KMH you are fine till 119KMH. I dont know the tolerance for American cops. So, what is it?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
23,364 Posts
Usually 10MPH over is when they'd pull you. I usually go 5-10 over.

·
Fahrvergnugen
7,057 Posts
I lived in western Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh and surrounding area) for 14 years and you can go 10 mph over the speed limit without too many problems, but it all depends on how the trooper is feeling that day. I've gone by cops going 70mph, when the speed limit was still 55 mph, and didn't get into trouble. Of course my heart was in my throat hoping he wouldn't pull out to come after me.

Be aware that the State Police loves speed traps. On the interstate, they usually sit where there is a driveway that connects both sides of the highway, usually where there are a lot of trees. They also like to hang out after curves where you cant see them until the last second. On the PA Turnpike they hang out at emergency pull-offs, usually back out of sight where you cant see them until they appear in your rear view mirror.

BTW, The PA Turnpike was originally built to support a max speed of 65mph. There are some curves on there that might take you by surprise if you're going too fast.

·
Peach Tea Chugging Mo-Fo
10,040 Posts
I'm in Pittsburgh. Most speed limits you'll come across are 55mph or 65. And if you are north of pittsburgh traveling down 79, BE CAREFUL between erie and Cranberry (which is like 20 min north of pgh). There are tons of cops that sit in places yet to be discovered and they will pull you over for anything. My advice is if you wanna be real safe, do 5 over. Other than that, I just keep up with traffic and when I come up on a spot where they could be, I slow down. If you do go 79, there is about 50 yards or so between the northbound and southbound lanes, and alot of trees and woods in there. Cops have small emergency roads in the woods and love sitting in there so you can't see them until you're right there.
Enjoy Pittsburgh! If you got family or just want a nice date with the lady, there is outdoor skating at PPG Place I highly reccomend.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yep what they all said.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey all, thanks for all the tips. I did a drive to pittsburgh last year during the cup playoffs, but I slept the whole way. I guess America doesnt have entrapment laws? Cops cant conceal their cars behind billboards and whatnot here in Canada, they must be 100% visible from a distance of 200 meters or so.

Im taking the lady friend to the Dec 11 Pens game for her Bday. 2nd row seats. I sure hope she likes it!

·
Peach Tea Chugging Mo-Fo
10,040 Posts
awesome! Pens are a good time. We do have entrapment laws in PA... to an extent. They find ways around it tho. At night they must have their marker lights on, they can only clock you if you're on their side of the road.. so not across the median or anything.

·
Fahrvergnugen
7,057 Posts
I don't know if it still exists but about ten years ago they passed a law where you can get a ticket for driving in the left lane too long. I had heard that someone was followed by a State Trooper for about six miles and then pulled them over an ticketed them for driving in the left lane for an extended period of time. IMO unles you're passing someone move over and let others go by if they drive faster than you.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
you guys are all lucky up there. EVERYTIME i speed here in florida i get pulled over. every single time. it sucks so bad. like my license is gonna be suspended the 10th DEC thro the 9th of JAN cuz i have 18 points in one year. which i took classes but u can only take 2 a year. lol.

i told you

bad luck

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Damn lead foot. Had same problem till got radar detector,but don't go cheap on a radar detector it's a waste of your money.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts

:eek: HEY!! IM BORN TO SPEED!!!

i thought if cop car is turned off radar detector wont recognize them??

·
Registered
309 Posts
2nd row Pens tickets? She'd better love it! lol

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright, Step 2 is complete!

Got my winter tires FINALLY installed... Now I dont have to worry about the roads.

But still have to watch for them lil'ol Oinkers....

Thanks again guys for the tips.

·
Registered
28 Posts
PA has a no chase law. the way it is used in western PA is if a vehicle is going over a certain speed that the cops cannot chase the car the only way they could fine you is if they got your plate number so just cruise at about 131mph and you should be fi.ne

1 - 15 of 15 Posts