Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 512 Posts

·
Registered
23,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is for discussion of photography stuff. You can post cool pics you just took, ask questions, give/get advice, have general chat about photography, whatever.

I just got my first DSLR (Cannon EOS 400D) and I sure do love it :D

·
Registered
23,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I experiment with mine, a lot. I've already done over a thousand shots. 215 of those were on shoot with my car :)

·
Registered
23,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Watch all of this guys videos. You'll learn so much :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got a Canon SD 790 IS and it seems to be great so far. Havent taken any great car shots with it yet. I stick to the compacts because I carry it everywhere. DSLR's are great, but their larger nature means that most people only take them out once in a while. Good luck with your camera. I think a photography thread is a good idea. Can pieces be photoshopped and still work in your thread?

·
Registered
23,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Absolutely, almost all of my pics go through Photoshop for some processing. Photography is art, not JPEGs right out of a camera :)

Point and shoots are appropriate for a lot of people, no doubt. My last P+S also offered the Program/Aperture/Shutter/Manual modes, which was nice. I'll personally use my DSLR just as much as I did my P+S, but it's certainly not pocket sized, and not right for taking pictures at the club :)

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
sure, why not! Just tell us what you did in PShop for our own learning purposes too.

I have three cameras:
-a regular point and shoot Canon PowerShot 510, which is a few years old but it's been all over the world (literally) and still takes great pics.
-a waterproof Olympus Stylus 850
-the Rebel XTi.

These were taken ~8 feet deep in Cabo San Lucas with the Olympus.

*edit*

Here (clicky the linky) is a collection of my favorite pics I've taken throughout the years in my many travels... SF, Tahoe, San Diego, Hawaii, London, India, etc. It should be publicly viewable and pics can be blown up to full size. 90% of these were taken with my old Canon. Enjoy. :)

·
Fahrvergnugen
7,057 Posts
I got a Nikon D80 with 18-70mm lens last March. I want to get more glass (wide angle and long zoom) , tripod, remote shutter release, ..... The list never ends. Need top find more time to use it too.

·
Registered
23,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I intend to get a Peling 8mm fisheye (on my 1.6x crop body, it'll be like a 12.8mm, but that's still very wide). It's a manual focus, but usually you just focus to infinity and set the f-stop around 11. It's cheap too ($200), and I'd just use it as a toy.

The 50mm f/1.8 is something EVERYONE should have. It's super glass for $85, takes professional grade photos, works great in low light since it's so fast, and offers good bokeh (which I luv!).

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I am in between cameras. I have been for quite some time. I have a photography background, was even a medical photographer in a hospital OR for over five years. I used to photograph everything, recently I haven't done squat. I have spent so much money on various point and shoots it makes me sick. There are a few cameras I have my eye on at the moment.

1, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 This is THE point and shoot camera to have if you don't need a long lens. It has a ultra wide 24mm (35mm equiv) lens, and FAST at F 2.0. Takes beautiful photos and 720P video as well.

2, The Nikon D90. I am going to get the LX3 first, as I think it will hold me over until I can convince the wife we need a D90. She's almost convinced. I have figured out the trick to "convincing" her to let me buy things. Plus the BB card will be paid off soon and we can wait for a big 2 year no financing deal for that. Only trouble with a nice SLR is the money I will end up sinking in lenses. I want FAST lenses, period.

The trouble with digital cameras, every six months you want something new.

·
Registered
23,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's the beauty of a DSLR... you invest in the lenses that will last you a lifetime. You can always upgrade to a newer body.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Does anyone do darkroom photography?
It's always been my personal favorite.

·
Registered
23,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd love to do some medium photography. I know a girl that is a photographer (those of you who visit the NSFW Thoughts thread know who she is) - maybe she could show me how that's all done.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Oh it's great.
It really helps you appreciate all the manual work that goes into making a good print.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I haven't done any since college. I had all the equipment needed to do it (black and white) myself at one point, but once digital came onto the scene I really didn't have the desire for it. I'm about to sell all my non-digital stuff, It's doing nothing but sit there

·
Registered
79 Posts
im just getting into photography bought an olympus slr a sp-550uz good beginer slr with a nice 18x zoom and 7.1 mega pixil for under 350$

i realy like macro shots heres one my favs i took

and another

1 - 20 of 512 Posts