Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today in my VW I finally got off my can and did something I've been meaning to do for a while. I own a 2003 MkiV GTI VR6 in Flash Red and for some time now I've wanted to take off the plastic grill insert and paint it black to give it a more vintage feel. I never really liked how the grills of the Mark IV are painted to match the body and not black to reflect the grills of the original hot hatch. Well as with any self repair I've made to this car it caused a few headaches. I feel the biggest issue with working on my car myself is that I need the hands of a toddler to maneuver around the tight engine compartment. The 2.8L is squeezed in the bay and it makes for tight quarters. As I'm disassembling the grill insert, it gets caught on the hood release lever, so I can't fully detach the piece I need. After fiddling and fumbling, and breaking a few of the tiny clips that hold it on I was able to get it out with the VW badge attached. From there it was a very simple operation, I used an enamel black spray paint on the grill and left the badge chromed, reinserted the grill piece and used a spray adhesive on the parts where the clips broke off, and quick coat of wax and it looks amazing. On this red exterior the grill really pops, and it resembles the GTI's of old and new. An hour well spent, and I hope this will lead some of you fellow Mark IV drivers to try this for yourself. Happy Das Autoing.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts