Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
We're Geekin'
8,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what tools are typically needed for basic mods... I'm interested in having my own as I'm not to keen on borrowing and want to see what weird tools may be needed. It seems some auto parts stores look at you funny when you ask for tools to work on european cars. I figure I can add them to the main post and maybe make this a sticky? I know we have DIY posts but I figure this could be a quick reference

So far, what I have to add...

-10mm socket for the battery terminals...
-triple square bit socket 12mm for steering wheel replacement...

·
Registered
23,364 Posts
electric tape, crimps, crimper, pliers, flashlight, multi(volt)meter, pry tools, wire fish

(im more of an electronics guy)
I hear ya on all of that :). I use a flathead screwdriver for my prying needs, as long as you're careful it works fine. I went around everywhere looking for trim removal tools, they looked at me like I was stupid everywhere I asked.

Voltmeter has definitely saved me a few times on my sub install! I tend to use mostly wire-tap style connectors because they go on easily with a set of pliers. I have a professional ($200) butt splice tool at work that I use if I ever need to butt splice anything.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My always-with-me item is a lantern that I bought recently. I have noticed that the new flashlights that you can buy now have many new and more powerful features. There are many models of off-grid lighting, for example, LED rechargeable flashlights for camping or in case of power outages in your home. I often read online reviews before buying anything and have found a really great selection to compare modern hokolite camping lanterns on the web. Many of these products have a more modern and user-friendly design. I like this as I don't find the minion style headlamp comfortable for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I prefer not to buy a whole socket set - to keep the clutter down. Obviously I need 10mm and 13mm, 17, probably 7mm. Are there really uses for a 4-9mm, and 14-23mm on a Rabbit?

I notice Pelican and ECS, etc., have 1/4" drive sets. SAE/US auto dealers recommend 3/8" drive most of the time. Why 1/4" for VW?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts