Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm a stranger to the world of Beetles but I hope someone can offer some advice.

A friend who is moving house has asked if I could move his Beetle on my trailer. I'm used to loading up my Sprite and don't anticipate any problems with the Beetle but can you confirm that I'll need to load it on tail first to give the correct weight distribution?

The four-wheeled trailer has an 11 foot bed and a load capacity of 1100kg and I'll be towing with my Passat estate so I'm confident that the weights all fall well within the legal limits - unless someone can confirm otherwise!

Is there anything else I need to know about trailering a Beetle?

Thanks in anticipation.

·
Registered
320 Posts
It will tow better rear end forward unless weight is over the trailer wheels. I helped a friend tow an old American truck on a 16 ft. trailer once. It was parked in an awkward location and winched it onto trailer rear forward. Luckily, we didn't have far to move it. We had to go really slowly. The bug doesn't weigh much even with engine. Might depend on tow vehicle as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will tow better rear end forward unless weight is over the trailer wheels. I helped a friend tow an old American truck on a 16 ft. trailer once. It was parked in an awkward location and winched it onto trailer rear forward. Luckily, we didn't have far to move it. We had to go really slowly. The bug doesn't weigh much even with engine. Might depend on tow vehicle as well.
Thanks John, That's what I thought but I'm grateful for the confirmation.

Colin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts