Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to figure out how to locate my old 1966 VW Beetle if it is still on the road. I have the VIN but since it is only 9 digits, I haven't been able to look for it. That VIN is: 116551881. I have all of the paperwork on it including the purchase receipt and all service records. My husband sold it in the early 70s and I surely do wish I had it back. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I guess no one is going to be of help to me so I'll look elsewhere. I thought this would be a place that someone would at least respond.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Well, I guess no one is going to be of help to me so I'll look elsewhere. I thought this would be a place that someone would at least respond.
am sorry no responded to your request, the bug side of theforum isvery in active. If i remember your post fromglanceing at it you have some of the vin numbers right. Here inFlorida you can do a search thru the DMV to verifyif still on theroad and registered. 1

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
am sorry no responded to your request, the bug side of theforum isvery in active. If i remember your post fromglanceing at it you have some of the vin numbers right. Here inFlorida you can do a search thru the DMV to verifyif still on theroad and registered. 1
Thank you for responding. I'm not certain what "bug side" of the forum means. I thought I was on the "beetle" side.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thank you for responding. I'm not certain what "bug side" of the forum means. I thought I was on the "beetle" side.
you were, only about 4 of us there,lol, everyone else has the other newer VW. Of the 4 , two here in the US and two in te UK. You may try the DMV in your state, they might could do a VIN search for you, if they cant or want you may try having a used car lot do the search, they can to makesureany trade in isnot a stolen vehicle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I'll do that. I bought it new in 1966 when I lived in Florida (before I was married) and then my husband sold it after we had kids so we could get something bigger. Thanks again.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thanks. I'll do that. I bought it new in 1966 when I lived in Florida (before I was married) and then my husband sold it after we had kids so we could get something bigger. Thanks again.
The irony,welive in Florida,had a FIAT X 19, until our kids came along, yep a station wagon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep! I think we bought a Toyota Corolla station wagon, very small but worked for us.
Thank you for your suggestion about contact the FL DMV about it. I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be on the road but I have been curious. I found one identical to it for sale but it was $25K! I think we sold mine for $400-$500. It has been fun looking back through the paperwork which appears that we sold it in 1974 with about 71K miles on it. I have all the service records including the original purchase paperwork.
Anyway, thanks again.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yep! I think we bought a Toyota Corolla station wagon, very small but worked for us.
Thank you for your suggestion about contact the FL DMV about it. I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be on the road but I have been curious. I found one identical to it for sale but it was $25K! I think we sold mine for $400-$500. It has been fun looking back through the paperwork which appears that we sold it in 1974 with about 71K miles on it. I have all the service records including the original purchase paperwork.
Anyway, thanks again.
really wish you luck in your search,and sorry no one responded to your postearlier,like i said only about 4 of us on the beetle/bug section , sad actually

1 - 9 of 9 Posts