Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1981 VW rabbit pickup that I installed a turbo 1.6 motor and 5 speed in about 12000 miles ago.I love it! I just had the injector pump resealed and I got a note from the mechanic, I haven't been able to talk to him yet, It said that the breather from the valve cover should not go into the intake. When the engine was normally aspirated, thats where it went. If he is correct, where should it go? Thanks Brian

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did talk to the fellow who resealed the injection pump. He said to use a catch tank. He said I would almost never have to empty it and it will work well. If anyone has any other ideas, I would appreciate it. Thanks Cheers Brian

·
Super Moderator
10,484 Posts
Some that have ring or valve seal issues run a catch can, some don't if you find that the Breather Hose is filling your filter with oil blow by, would probably be better served by using a catch can....

·
Registered
297 Posts
The intake pipe I bought from MK1 had the port for the crankcase vent post filter. So that is how I set it up. The pictures I see where people have taken the turbo out of an 83 jetta and attached it to the Caddy all run from the top of the valve cover from that hockey puck like breather to the intake after the filter. Most run the lower crankcase hose up to a tee just after the breather.

Have never heard that should not be done. Why did the original hoses on an 83 connect it like that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I guess I will leave it as it is. I have the breather off of the valve cover going into the intake after the filter. I don't seem to be having any issues, just the mechanic saying it isn't a good idea, Thanks for the information. Cheers Brian

·
Registered
297 Posts
Maybe he didn't like the pre-oiling of the turbo vanes. I don't think the little bit of oil going in is going to foul it up. Air going in is not laden with dust or anything that will stick to the vanes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts