Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post on this site but hopefully the forum can help me get a definitive view regarding updating my Satnav as I have seen so many adverse comments/views about how to achieve this but I am a great believer in if a supplier provides a facility such as Discovercare it must work and work for everyone. I wasn't supplied with an original VW satnav card when I bought my car so used the option on the site that was the alternative update material. I used a 32Gb SDHC card formatted with FAT ( The discovercare site appears to format the SD card again anyway), Inserted the card in my windows PC - selected the vehicle and year and away it goes for many hours downloading hundreds of small temporary files onto my hard drive. When the download is completed it carries out a checksum calculation to see all material was downloaded (my assumption is that it does this).....but I haven't got beyond this yet so I don't know what should happen next as it returns a "checksum failed" and then wipes all the data that has taken hours to download. So I have to start again. 5 times so far with exactly the same result. Having worked in the IT industry for many years I know that there are better ways to achieve a successful download process other than continually frustrating end user customers. Given this is not a new topic has anyone from VW over the years of issues ever responded to the owners forum.
Any insights welcome

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is my first post on this site but hopefully the forum can help me get a definitive view regarding updating my Satnav as I have seen so many adverse comments/views about how to achieve this but I am a great believer in if a supplier provides a facility such as Discovercare it must work and work for everyone. I wasn't supplied with an original VW satnav card when I bought my car so used the option on the site that was the alternative update material. I used a 32Gb SDHC card formatted with FAT ( The discovercare site appears to format the SD card again anyway), Inserted the card in my windows PC - selected the vehicle and year and away it goes for many hours downloading hundreds of small temporary files onto my hard drive. When the download is completed it carries out a checksum calculation to see all material was downloaded (my assumption is that it does this).....but I haven't got beyond this yet so I don't know what should happen next as it returns a "checksum failed" and then wipes all the data that has taken hours to download. So I have to start again. 5 times so far with exactly the same result. Having worked in the IT industry for many years I know that there are better ways to achieve a successful download process other than continually frustrating end user customers. Given this is not a new topic has anyone from VW over the years of issues ever responded to the owners forum.
Any insights welcome
All resolved now. Having several alternatives to get maps is just confusing

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have solution for download map with DiscoverCare tool. DiscoverCare tool can download another map, then you find directly on the Website.

1, insert your SD from car to PC
2, Download, install and run DiscoverCare tool from VW Website.
3, Set backup OFF (backup your card manually first)
4, Set folder for downloaded map
5, Start updating
6, When the map download starts, remove SD card from PC
7, Discover care downloads new map, saves in your preferred folder and ends with error. You can select cancel, 7z file with the map stays in the folder.
8, Load map files into SD card manually (backup card, format, copy all files from 7z into root SD card.

Tested, working.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I updated mine last night. Not sure if the map I had was original or not but the update is now a bit bigger than the VW 16GB SD card will take. I selected a smaller update which still had UK on it and installed that via Discovercare and it worked fine. The app did everything from beginning to end without fault, although the 9GB download took a while. I did back up the original map file but forgot to take a note of its address on my laptop and can't find it anywhere now. It doesn't contain the vw digits which I've used to search. Guess I wont need it anyway now the new update is up and running.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts