Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's see the model kit you are building of your VW Beetle, be it as a model of your own car, or a car you uswed to own, or maybe it's a model of a paint scheme you are trying out in 3 d, I'll start the ball rolling with this Tmiya 1/48 scale early model Beetle from the War.
vw beetle box.jpg

vw beetle body.jpg

vw beetle rear body.jpg

as all Tamiya kits, it's a precision made model kit.
vw beetle body sand.jpg

vw beetle sand.jpg

and finally finished and ready for the shelf with all my other Beetle models.
vw beetle finished b.jpg

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks, Rusty, for starting this thread, should be fun. Currently working on 1/24 th scale 1968 Beetle made by REVEll. Has been decades since I last worked on a model, and those were always of vintage air planes and cars. I truly believe a lot can be learned about your vechile structure from quality model assembly, and if plan to customize it, is great to be able to experiment with modifications and paint schemes like Rusty said. Hope others will find an interest in this thread and participate. Will be re-posting a few pics of my project a little later, thanks and hope others join in and share ideas, short cuts, tool ideas for assemby, and display.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Rusty, for starting this thread, should be fun. Currently working on 1/24 th scale 1968 Beetle made by REVEll. Has been decades since I last worked on a model, and those were always of vintage air planes and cars. I truly believe a lot can be learned about your vechile structure from quality model assembly, and if plan to customize it, is great to be able to experiment with modifications and paint schemes like Rusty said. Hope others will find an interest in this thread and participate. Will be re-posting a few pics of my project a little later, thanks and hope others join in and share ideas, short cuts, tool ideas for assemby, and display.
Cheers Wayne, looking forward to seeing your masterpiece take shape, when you are near to completion, I'll post a how to on here of making simple glass display cases, keeps the dust and inquisitive little fingers off your detailed model .
glass dome done.jpg

·
Registered
83 Posts
Cheers Wayne, looking forward to seeing your masterpiece take shape, when you are near to completion, I'll post a how to on here of making simple glass display cases, keeps the dust and inquisitive little fingers off your detailed model .
View attachment 42781
Sounds great thanks. I am putting together a self contained Model Assembly Case with assorted tools and a few other ideas I am using , hopefully some will be of help to others. Nice cycle .

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
now that is something that would interest me, My modelling kit is a jumbled mess in an old kit box, gotta keep tools in good order for models as well as full size cars.

·
Registered
83 Posts
now that is something that would interest me, My modelling kit is a jumbled mess in an old kit box, gotta keep tools in good order for models as well as full size cars.
Started working on the Model Assembly Case/Station. Got most everything I wanted to fit, will use a separate case for major cutting and shaping needs like litre box, dremel and bits. I used an old portable typewriter case . It the older type that has a lid that lifts completely off if you want it to.
Sorry pics are out of order. The lid opened but still attached to the base. The big white surface is made from a kitchen cutting board. I mounted the magnifying glass and light base under it to be more out of th e way. A later picture will show the lid removed and the white working surface lifted off the case base.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Additional pics of the Model Assembly Case with the lid removed and the white work surface also removed. Area under the work surface used to store , magnifying glass, files, picks, various skippers and pliers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Last pic of Model Assembly Case with lid off, work surface with magnifier and light set up. The two black metal baskets are for paint, brushes, glues, paint pens, and miscellaneous item storage. The baskets hang from the two metal rods running left to right in the lid. I mounted them so they swing freely on the metal rods so as to be self correcting so the items in them are always upright when the case laying flat on it base or standing on end, they can also be lifted off the metal rods and placed outside of the case for close approximation to the work surface. Hopefully this will be a little neater and better organized. Hope some of you find this I treating and maybe even helpfull.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
great job Wayne, you are an organisational guru. I will take a page from your book of neatness.

I've bought this, time to make another VW Beetle Model kit.
police beetle.jpg

·
Registered
83 Posts
great job Wayne, you are an organisational guru. I will take a page from your book of neatness.

I've bought this, time to make another VW Beetle Model kit.
View attachment 42824
Thanks, still tweaking it around a bit.
The Police BUG should be fun for sure. I once saw a Real Bug here in town that was made into a puck- up truck. The rear windshield was moved forward to just behind the front seats, so the truck bed extended from there to barely beyond the engine hood. Looked great, have not been able to locate a model like that yet, still looking.
So how goes the Real BUG restore?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks, still tweaking it around a bit.
The Police BUG should be fun for sure. I once saw a Real Bug here in town that was made into a puck- up truck. The rear windshield was moved forward to just behind the front seats, so the truck bed extended from there to barely beyond the engine hood. Looked great, have not been able to locate a model like that yet, still looking.
So how goes the Real BUG restore?
Found a pic of the VW Beetle truck conversion

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dropped into my local Heritage parts centre in Shoreham here in the UK, they have really sparked with this great VW heritage full size model kit display in the Foyer.
body panel model kit display.jpg

heritage model kit display.jpg

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it's here at last, so lets take a look at this model kit in a bit of pre construction detail
police beetle reverse.jpg

the kit box itself is the standard Revell tip and spill type, not my favourite choice of box for a model kit as they are never made in one day, so it's more convienient to have a lid that you can place half completed components in.
police beetle tip n spill box.jpg

the contents are nicely sealed in bags to minimise the chance of parts going missing.
police beetle tip n spill box contents.jpg

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the instruction sheets are very good, nice, clear, colour diagrams. No chance of a misunderstanding of the construction proceedure here.
police beetle instruction sheet pages.jpg

police beetle instruction sheet pages b.jpg

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
this is the decal sheet, can't tell yet if they will look good on the model, but the colour register looks very good on them.
police beetle decal sheet.jpg

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so I'll keep you all up to date on the building of this kit, when I get to it, but first I have a French Armoured car to finish
box art for kit.jpg

·
Registered
83 Posts
but it should be great fun to make a miniture Beetle, I may even learn a little about my own 1972 Bug. View attachment 42850

View attachment 42851
Thanks for the overview. I like the Revell brand, your Police BUG kit looks very similar to the 68 Beetle I am working on. So you were into models all along before we two first discussed them, that good, thought I was responsible for diverting your money and attention from your real one, lol.
I finished all the parts painting on mine today and will assemble it tomorrow hopefully.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the overview. I like the Revell brand, your Police BUG kit looks very similar to the 68 Beetle I am working on. So you were into models all along before we two first discussed them, that good, thought I was responsible for diverting your money and attention from your real one, lol.
I finished all the parts painting on mine today and will assemble it tomorrow hopefully.
come on Wayne, lets see pictures of your model beetle progress, I want to see some detail painting.
another kit in my stash with a Beetle character is this Beach Buggy by Airfix in 1/32 scale.
box art.jpg

nice little kit to be honest, I will make it one day instead of keeping it as a collectable.
bugle buggy body.jpg

the floor pan, chassis and motor are the only VW Beetle parts
floor pan.jpg

1 - 20 of 36 Posts