Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
come on Wayne, lets see pictures of your model beetle progress, I want to see some detail painting.
another kit in my stash with a Beetle character is this Beach Buggy by Airfix in 1/32 scale.
View attachment 42866

nice little kit to be honest, I will make it one day instead of keeping it as a collectable.
View attachment 42867

the floor pan, chassis and motor are the only VW Beetle parts
View attachment 42868
Nice kit, the secrets out, you actually have a stash. Thinking my next kit will the type 2, the pick up or safari truck. I have only seen about 3 of in person, and that was decade ago, a few real ones are located on Craigslist here, run about 15000$ here.
Hope to post pics of my project later today.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

have to add a little music in here, Here it comes again, and a big 1960's hit to bring in the next model kit. Here it comes again, the next Model kit of a beetle, this time from Hasagawa, a japanese company, and I'm quite sure the Fortunes had a following over there, anyway I digress.
hasagawa box art.jpg

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Nice kit, the secrets out, you actually have a stash. Thinking my next kit will the type 2, the pick up or safari truck. I have only seen about 3 of in person, and that was decade ago, a few real ones are located on Craigslist here, run about 15000$ here.
Hope to post pics of my project later today.
oh yes, my secret is out, I have a stash of kit building epidemic proportions. Will I ever get through my stash when I retire, or will it join those E bay listings selling an old guys stash after he has shuffled off this mortal coil, never, I will build the lot.
anyway, on with the Hasagawa Beetle, nice instruction sheet....
hasagawa instruction sheet.jpg

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The easy way for Beetle kit makers to produce the beetle, is to cast the body shell like this. with the rear deck, the wings and the beetle bonnet as one casting, what a shame
hasagawa body shell a.jpg

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Mind you, it is well executed, by Jimminy, look at those wonderful well known lines, been with us all our lives.
hasagawa body shell b.jpg

·
Registered
358 Posts
Mind you, it is well executed, by Jimminy, look at those wonderful well known lines, been with us all our lives.
View attachment 42882
Yeah, some of them are extremely detailed, and very true to the actual structures. They can be a real challenge. I just finished the engine assembly for my 68, was tough I have to admit. Assemble the front end and steering, and it actually turns left to right like it is supposed to. F8nally decided on a body paint scheme also.

·
Registered
358 Posts

have to add a little music in here, Here it comes again, and a big 1960's hit to bring in the next model kit. Here it comes again, the next Model kit of a beetle, this time from Hasagawa, a japanese company, and I'm quite sure the Fortunes had a following over there, anyway I digress.
View attachment 42879

View attachment 42879
Yep, that was the 60s alright. You are bring back a lot of memories, almost feel the need to make a trip to the attic and pull out my old hip-hugger bell bottoms, narue collar shirts, and Italian cut boots, lava lamp, lol. When I got my 71 Beetle it had an old 8 track player in it, waiting for the new drive belt to arrive. Also a collection of 8 track tapes
in it

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
for a minute there I thought
Yeah, some of them are extremely detailed, and very true to the actual structures. They can be a real challenge. I just finished the engine assembly for my 68, was tough I have to admit. Assemble the front end and steering, and it actually turns left to right like it is supposed to. F8nally decided on a body paint scheme also. View attachment 42883 View attachment 42884
for a minute there I thought you'd posted a picture of the real engine in your Real Beetle, good work there, nice scale attention to detail. By the way, I'm not in favour of working features on scale display models, steering I readily accept, helps you depict the model with the wheels turned, but a have to draw a line between what we have here and R/C working models, a completly different animal. Have to make a positive comment on your body scheme, " lovin it mate !".

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yep, that was the 60s alright. You are bring back a lot of memories, almost feel the need to make a trip to the attic and pull out my old hip-hugger bell bottoms, narue collar shirts, and Italian cut boots, lava lamp, lol. When I got my 71 Beetle it had an old 8 track player in it, waiting for the new drive belt to arrive. Also a collection of 8 track tapes View attachment 42885 in it
almost puts me in the mood to watch a few "Rowan and Martin Laugh in" episodes, in the days when Goldie Hawn looked great, but still couldn't dance, do you think she had a no hip movement policy?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Rowan and Martin Laugh in
Definately right on about Goldie, lol.
The engine a was a real buger, had to break out some medical forceps, tweezers, and dental pics and a 20x magnifier, now if I could figure out how to steady my hands like they were 20 years ago I would be set, considered giving up my 6 cups daily of espresso, but thought better of that.
Man I almost freaked when I found the old 8 track player and tapes in my bug when I got it home.
Setting here debating if I want to try to add coil and plug wires to the engine, I used to long ago, kinda neat. I do plan to re do the front windows, currently just full sized, want to make wing vents so can have them opened, and the main door windows rolled partially down. I agree I like the wheel to roll and turn left to right, this one has the hood and engine lid separated and are supposed to be hinged to open and close, hope can get it right. So you like the main body color scheme , separating white stripe not as smooth as I would like, but hands just can not do that anymore.
I guess you and I are the only ones into the Real thing and models, bummer wish others would join in.
I saw the progress on your real project, man you are charging ahead at a wicked pace, gonna be real sweet when done. Be carefully if under that thing man.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
looking at the figures in the Airfix Bugle Buggy,
driver and passenger.jpg

she looks like Angela Raynor Member of Parliament, and front bencher in the Labour party.
AngelaRayner.jpg

and he looks like the TV Character from the 1970's drama Jason King
Wyngarde_as_Jason_King.JPG

·
Registered
358 Posts
looking at the figures in the Airfix Bugle Buggy,
View attachment 42890
she looks like Angela Raynor Member of Parliament, and front bencher in the Labour party.
View attachment 42891

and he looks like the TV Character from the 1970's drama Jason King
View attachment 42892
I didn't recognize either of those names, but lo9king at the actual photos your are dead on. Maybe you have stumbled on to their prior careers, lol. Didn't work on the modle or the Real beetle at all today, made good use of the great weather we had today and worked on an old shed I have been avoiding. Are you where you want to be on your Beetle re do?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I didn't recognize either of those names, but lo9king at the actual photos your are dead on. Maybe you have stumbled on to their prior careers, lol. Didn't work on the modle or the Real beetle at all today, made good use of the great weather we had today and worked on an old shed I have been avoiding. Are you where you want to be on your Beetle re do?
Dave, just wanted to share a few pics of the detail of this model. Rear suspension and under carriage. Front suspension, with ability of tires to be positioned turned to left or right. Dash board with speedometer cluster and radio. Floorpan with clutch, brake, accelerator pedals, gear shift, emergency brake, turn signal switch, and package shelf. Sorry the pics loaded out of order of description. Almost there. I discovered I am missing the right front inner fender/wheel well. Can get only from Germany, waiting for a response back from Revell parts warehouse in Germany, bummer.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Dave, just wanted to share a few pics of the detail of this model. Rear suspension and under carriage. Front suspension, with ability of tires to be positioned turned to left or right. Dash board with speedometer cluster and radio. Floorpan with clutch, brake, accelerator pedals, gear shift, emergency brake, turn signal switch, and package shelf. Sorry the pics loaded out of order of description. Almost there. I discovered I am missing the right front inner fender/wheel well. Can get only from Germany, waiting for a response back from Revell parts warehouse in Germany, bummer. View attachment 42899 View attachment 42898 View attachment 42897 View attachment 42896
Bummer, not able to get replacement for missing inner fender well for my modle, German Revell doesn't have it, US company doesn't have it, so will try to fabricate something

·
Registered
358 Posts
Bummer, not able to get replacement for missing inner fender well for my modle, German Revell doesn't have it, US company doesn't have it, so will try to fabricate something
Finally bit the bullet and made a fender well replacement, kinda tricky because had to use the left side as a pattern and remember to reverse everything, not the best work I have ever done, but the last time I attempted anything like this on such a small scale was decades ago. Looks pretty tight and workable when dry fitted so will see how well it will come together. Fender wells , the one on the left I made from a plastic flower pot. The second pic is of a backing plate I made to secure it all together to the frame. May not look great but better than a capping hole, lol

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
you can use the left hand fender as a pattern and re create the missing one using plastic card, available form most hobby/modelling stores, comes in various size sheets, if you don't have a shop in your area, try the internet. It will mean your model is more individual to you.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
e
Finally bit the bullet and made a fender well replacement, kinda tricky because had to use the left side as a pattern and remember to reverse everything, not the best work I have ever done, but the last time I attempted anything like this on such a small scale was decades ago. Looks pretty tight and workable when dry fitted so will see how well it will come together. Fender wells , the one on the left I made from a plastic flower pot. The second pic is of a backing plate I made to secure it all together to the frame. May not look great but better than a capping hole, lol

View attachment 42928
View attachment 42930
Excellent work Wayne, good fabrication work.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts