Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Looking good
Well it's not a VW Beetle, nor is it a Modle Kit. Finally started building the goose-neck camper trailer i posted earlier. I found the idea of a goose neck pulled by a Beetle it very interesting, so here goes.

1. This is chassis/bottom frame and beginnings of the goose neck hitch.
    interior wall for placement between the kitchen and bathroom, window and exterior door frame, swinging doors hopefully can be made.
    exterior shell, window and door openings yet to be cut, after kitchen floor and wall cabinets made and actual locations decided upon. And the chassis sub flooring for anchoring the grey water, black water, and fresh water tanks.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Looking good, I notice you placed the steering wheel on the right, did your kit provide the option to install on the LEFT? I have never air-brushed, you do right, how precise is it for smaller areas?
as it's portraying a German Police car I chose the steering wheel to go on the right. Airbrushing takes your models to a new level, this isn't airbrushed, it's all from a air can.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Looks good man, guess you have to be really careful which air can paint you wouild use, could wind up with some plastic melt issues
yes that is a very real issue Wayne, you have to test paint your intended cans on scrap plastic to test for compatability to see if the plastic melts and if paints are compatable with each other. It could spoil you day, your model project and leave a dent in your wallet.
Untitled.png

·
Registered
358 Posts
yes that is a very real issue Wayne, you have to test paint your intended cans on scrap plastic to test for compatability to see if the plastic melts and if paints are compatable with each other. It could spoil you day, your model project and leave a dent in your wallet.
View attachment 43029
Just wanted to share the latest on the missing inner front wheel well for the 68 Beetle modle I was assembling. I tried for over a week to get a replacement, was told by both the German and USA Revell Modle Companies it was not available. I eventually fashioned one myself and it actually came out very well. Today , I recieved this in the mail from Germany. Obviously to late, but still appreciated.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
wheels on. I have not done a great deal to this model kit lately, it's been sat on top of the wardrobe waiting for some spare time. But that's the thing about a model kit, there is no time limit, or urgency to get on with it. The ideal hobby for the busy individual.
wheels on.png

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
of course the other way of doing a model colour test for your full sized project is Di Cast Model Beetles, and there are multitudes of them out there, There's a Corgi One, below, a Dinky one from the 1960's, Lesney only did one back then, it's the subject for restoration in the Marty's Matchbox Makeovers, link below. I found this scratched and played with Corgi 1200 Beetle at a car boot sale a while back, for 50 pence.

to disassemble it for paint stripper you have to drill off the base rivits and re tap it for 2mm button screws.

once it's been repainted with primer you can paint it close to how you see your real car, less time than a model kit, and you can place it on the shelf for the next project plan.
Here's a link to Marty and how to do it in detail.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
so the hardest part is drilling out the base rivet post, requires a steady hand and accurate drilling.

the parts laid out.

re-assembled, I think I'll unscrew it and repaint it in off white/cream, see how that looks.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I was at a collectors open air fair at Ashington village green today, picked up this Dinky toy VW Beetle for £3, it's not without it's issues. with cracks in the casting around the A pillars, and a slightly misshapen forward roof area

this model is so old, it was originally available in the toy shops and Woolworths without glass. and it's an oval of course. Worth saving.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I was at a collectors open air fair at Ashington village green today, picked up this Dinky toy VW Beetle for £3, it's not without it's issues. with cracks in the casting around the A pillars, and a slightly misshapen forward roof area
View attachment 44234

this model is so old, it was originally available in the toy shops and Woolworths without glass. and it's an oval of course. Worth saving.
View attachment 44235
Any idea when it was released?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
finally found some Corgi model beetle restoration time, fixed the base using some screws, with it's repainted grey interior, now it's ready for a bit of detail work, chrome door handles, headlamps.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts