Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
I haven't had much time in the last months for my Beetle restoration, life getting in the way. Mickey the 1972 Beetle is waiting patiently, so I may have time later, early next year when I think I'll have some spanner time. But in the meantime lets take a look at Airfix's latest VW model kit.

some of the kit parts

the kit provides a driver and passenger figures, very 1970.

some of the tiny parts you may recognise.

and the rims

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Rye Field are the latest model kit company to provide a Beetle model, this time it's in 1/35th scale, so will be very popular with military enthusiasts, It's a type 82 from ther 40's, so will suit a WW2 Diorama or with slight civilian conversion an early 50's split rear window.
Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Automotive parking light

I have to say I dislike this tip and spill model boxs, we don't make these kits in a day, we need a tray box to place half made sub assemblies in while the table gets used for a games night.
Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Car Automotive design

and don't tell me it's some EU directive to save on packaging because the shell has it's own Beetle box.
Automotive design Motor vehicle Hood Toy Wood

the kit does look very well cast though, I have heard great things about Rye Field, and the actual model looks the biz.
Vision care Eye glass accessory Wood Eyewear Automotive design

the parts are all bagged in sealed polys, so no chance of missing parts, unlike a real beetle project.
Product Font Wood Metal Engineering

when I get to build this, I'll update this thread with some pictures.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
found another Beetle model in a box in a second hand shop, look at the thickness of the roof, to scale that would be armour any Russian Tank would be proud of. The holes suggest a roof rack at some point in it's history. Long lost.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

a peek at the base and it's made by Matchbox competitor Husky Models.
Plant Font Rectangle Gas Metal

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Great Patina, that's right John, it's already slammed to the deck as the suspension has gone.

Here's that Rye Field model Split rear windscreen model. nearly finished.
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

the kit peel off window masks fitted awaiting it's final coat of airbrushed paint.
Car Vehicle Tire Land vehicle Wheel

the great thing with model making is if you have a sports injury that prevents you working on your real car, you can sit at the table and still assemble a beetle, even if in miniature.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
My Son Harry bought himself a quick build Beetle kit, a snap together model of a 1200 beetle, not my kind of thing as it's like Lego, but on the outside, it looks like a proper model, Very handy for anyone who wants to test out a full size paint scheme on a model first, but don't want to spend time making a complex model kit.
Tire Car Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle

I agreed to spray paint the red parts of the model for him, here they are in plastic primer from a Halfords air can. I'll spray it in red auto paint gloss red when that dries.
Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Font Red

·
Registered
463 Posts
My Son Harry bought himself a quick build Beetle kit, a snap together model of a 1200 beetle, not my kind of thing as it's like Lego, but on the outside, it looks like a proper model, Very handy for anyone who wants to test out a full size paint scheme on a model first, but don't want to spend time making a complex model kit.
View attachment 46950

I agreed to spray paint the red parts of the model for him, here they are in plastic primer from a Halfords air can. I'll spray it in red auto paint gloss red when that dries.
View attachment 46951
No rust issues on that one ever. The auto paints don't react with the plastic?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
The auto paints don't react with the plastic?
as ever John, right on point, I always test a piece of scrap before spraying an expensive kit. Here the red primer, top coat and then a coat of clear coat, as the primer protects the plastic from the later coats there is no reaction.
Font Magenta Fashion accessory Rectangle Publication

this goes for models and full size car parts, you don't want to see that hard to find plastic door handle melting before your eyes, always test first.
Drinkware Liquid Water bottle Fluid Kitchen appliance

here the roof gets a clear coat of spray Laquer. Makes that glossy red just pop.
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

bonnet too...
Guitar accessory Wood Automotive lighting Red Line

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Not really my cup of tea as I prefer more detailed refined models, but for someone wanting to test wheel colour against body colour, or maybe seeing how decals would look, to give a scale perspective to a real car, it would be cost effective to use a model first. These snap together Airfix kits could help someone plan a colour scheme.
Vehicle Tire Car Wheel Toy

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Tire Wheel

·
Registered
37 Posts
Very Mad Max, and there is a Beetle under all that armour.
It took a while to find (mainly because I couldn't remember the manufacturer!) but this is what it was originally... for some reason I don't still have the box of a model I bought in the 80s 😋

Wheel Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle

And I know it's not Beetle related but this is the direction it was heading for and may yet arrive at (did the truck 2 years ago and actually finished it!!! 😱)

Wheel Tire Vehicle Combat vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Wood Gas

81 - 100 of 102 Posts