Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard today that for 2010 VW is gonna change the rabbit to the golf again. Does anyone know why?

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Maybe b/c VW of America realized that no other country that has the Golf is calling it a rabbit........When i was in Greece last summer, i saw so many Golf's and told my friends there that in america, its called a rabbit and they laughed. so maybe VW here is tired of getting laughed at.....Just my little rant.

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
The name rabbit has served it purpose (get ppl interested again) and now it is time to change it back.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Gonna miss seeing the cute chrome bunny badge and 2.5 next to it... :(

·
Registered
269 Posts
golf > rabbit

·
Registered
29 Posts
What is a golf? Where did this name come from to start with? Are we talking about a golf ball, golf club, golf course, what?
A rabbit is fast, able to change directions in a instant, and great looking.
But a golf. Why not call it a brick, or a bucket, maybe a lake. The only connection to golf I can see is to go play a round of "golf".
Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit, much better.
VW needs to get a lot of email.
snowshoe

·
Registered
109 Posts
golf came from the "gulf stream"and jetta from the "jet stream"
nothing to do with the sport.
golf is the name of our car, rabbit is just silly and im glad they are changing it.
i badged my rabbit, golf, thats what it is everywhere else in the world.
golf is the best sold car of all time, not rabbit

·
Registered
520 Posts
didn't the rabbit come first? I'm no expert, but I think the gti and golf came from the first rabbits. Either way, it's just a name to me. I'd buy one if it was called anything as long as it's as fun to drive.

·
Registered
109 Posts
didn't the rabbit come first? I'm no expert, but I think the gti and golf came from the first rabbits. Either way, it's just a name to me. I'd buy one if it was called anything as long as it's as fun to drive.
this is only true for north america

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm with the people who are disappointed.

It doesn't matter to me so much what the rest of the world is doing, the Rabbit has some history in THIS country. I used to ride around with my uncle in his silver Rabbit when I was a kid, and having that nostalgia behind a car is something I think is really special.

For better or worse, we may be the last generation owners of the Rabbit moniker, and I'm okay with that. There aren't many rare makes/models of cars these days and I'll be proud to keep the chrome bunny and 2.5 badged on mine.

Afterthought: I'm surprised this isn't a HUGE deal on these boards... after all this is the RABBIT owners club!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Amen to that Hoppin. Golfownersclub.bs maybe.
Let's see Golf...Gulf Stream, Golf...Gulf Stream, kinda like Aluminum... Alligators
Whoa!
The rest of the planet can take a hike.

·
Registered
65 Posts
VW Officially Changes Rabbit back to Golf

It's official, there will be no Rabbit MK VI, but a Golf MK VI.

Via Autoblog: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/31/officially-official-vw-changes-rabbit-back-to-golf/

VOLKSWAGEN ANNOUNCES RETURN OF GOLF NAMEPLATE FOR U.S. MARKET

HERNDON, VA - Volkswagen of America, Inc. welcomes back the Golf nameplate with the arrival of the sixth generation Golf.

"The Golf is an iconic nameplate for the Volkswagen Brand and it is known throughout the world," said Mark Barnes, COO, Volkswagen of America, Inc. "The Golf is Volkswagen's best selling global nameplate with more than 26 million units sold in over 120 countries."

"Making the change back to Golf is an important step in realigning with our global heritage" Barnes added.

The new Golf had its world unveil at the Geneva Motor Show in February. The sixth generation Golf has been significantly redesigned and demonstrates Volkswagen's product strategy to refine the brand in all model lines. The Golf will have its U.S. debut at the 2009 New York International Auto Show. The Golf will go on sale in the fall of 2009.

Volkswagen of America, Inc.
Founded in 1955, Volkswagen of America, Inc. is headquartered in Herndon, Virginia. It is a subsidiary of Volkswagen AG, headquartered in Wolfsburg, Germany. Volkswagen is one of the world's largest producers of passenger cars and Europe's largest automaker. Volkswagen sells the Rabbit, New Beetle, New Beetle convertible, GTI, Jetta, Jetta SportWagen, GLI, Eos, Passat, Passat wagon, CC, Tiguan, Touareg 2 and Routan through approximately 600 independent U.S. dealers. All 2009 Volkswagens come standard-equipped with Electronic Stabilization Program. This is important because the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has called ESC the most effective new vehicle safety technology since the safety belt. Visit Volkswagen of America online at vw.com or www.media.vw.com to learn more.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts