Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm new to the beetle game and have just purchased 2 beetles. One is a 1977 beetle, only bought this to use the engine for another beetle I bought which is a 1971 super beetle convertible. Problem is I think I have got myself a dud... It has a bar over the car, does this mean it's not original? If so will I need an engineer certificate and is it worth all the trouble? It doesn't have a karmann badge but there is a bit missing from this car, someone has already attempted a restoration

As for the 77 I assume it was imported? Are they worth anything?

Sorry for my ignorance and thanks in advance

·
Registered
177 Posts
It us somebody's homemade convertible creation. Fairly common here in US for off road toy use. Stock bugs are considered classics and sell for amazing prices restored. Don't know how altering the car relates to laws where you live. You generally lose structural integrity unless the body is otherwise strengthened. The roll bar may be installed to make it safe. Just by photos I would put my efforts in the stock bug. I live in the desert so maybe off road toys more useful here. Super beetles worth less than standard bugs too here.

·
Registered
67 Bug. 2275cc, 10.1:1, 48IDA,Eagle2242Cam,2300Lb clutch, 3.85 diff. Lowered,roll bar, 5pt, swaybars
23 Posts
I would agree that the "convertible" is likely a basket case. It has been butchered beyond a useful repair. I would fix up the stock beetle. I would probably strip the super beetle for all the super beetle specific parts like hood, fenders and front suspension. I think these may have some value as super beetle specific parts are harder to find. Alternately, you could find a fairly stock super beetle and fix it up with parts from your current one. JohnNewb is correct that super beetles are not as valued in the US, unlike in western Europe, but they actually handle much better than regular beetles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts