Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
kk, i just bought a 1974 VW superBeetle for 350$
no motor, 4 speed man yes, frame/floor pan/ exterior has no dents or damage maybe a little rust. Money is not an issue for this project im about to unfold. I need some help on engine knowledge. what to put in it? i could do a 1600cc with some high compression bells and whistles, porche motor? wrx motor? whats going to be the least cutting and welding.
i wanna make the bug quick and fun, not fast and furious.
thank you :Ciao:

·
Registered
172 Posts
How quick are you talking about? There are many combinations of engine displacements to choose from. Carburetion, camshaft configurations, heads with bigger valves or stock. Research is the key here. Lot's of people believe a Porsche engine is the ultimate or as you mention a Subaru engine. If you're talking about a 911 engine, I would'nt recommend it, too much cutting and fitting, a 914 would fit with some modifications. Subaru, consider the plumbing for the liquid cooling system, mods for the clutch, fuel injection or carburetion. I'm not saying it can't be done because it has been done already, what I am saying is you have more engine choices going with a built VW engine. Research, research, research, will give you options beyond your comprehension. Talk to people in the business, read up on the subject, learn as much as possible, then make it happen your way.

Ainokea

·
Registered
11 Posts
Best of luck with your project. However you seem to be placing emphasis on making the car go faster and no mention of stopping it ?? DON'T FORGET THE BRAKES.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts