Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve decided I want to restore an older beetle. No idea where to start. Are there certain years or models that lend themselves better to modernize? Is going to Mexico to buy a good option? I’m not too far from the border. Any suggestions are appreciated. Or older threads that spell this out.
Thanks

·
Registered
316 Posts
1967 or newer so twelve volts (or older if already converted. Mexico bugs likely would not meet US standards. I have an '83 Mexican bug that was legally imported after meeting US regulations. Not California smog laws though. I only bought it because it had a Mississippi title saying 1972 so exempt from smog inspection here in California. Purists don't like super beetles so standard bugs generally worth more after restoration.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you're going to "modernize" anyway the best Beetles are 67 and older. No big deal to either run it (66 and older) with 6volts or convert it. My current Beetle is a 56 because I always wanted an oval window. It's still 6 volts but the transmission has been shaved for 12v. They even make 6volt led front headlights. Yea, I may upgrade to 12volts when the engine craps out... but for now....6v 12v.... whatever.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts