Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to thank all of you who have responded to me when I needed your help. I really appreciated it. The fact of the matter is that I just got rid of my Black 2008 VW Rabbit. $100 oil changes, brakes that only last 25K, was more than I bargained for.The salesmen are smart.

I'll give them that...they tell you all the good stuff at the time of the sale, but never tell you that you need a second job to keep this car up....so with that said....

I had to have the left rear caliper replaced the other day and the rotor too. VW also changed the pads. The good news is that before replacing them the road test revealed....right side 168 degrees, left 205 degrees.....so the warranty covered everything....but that worries me down the line....what next?

Be safe out there....I'm outta here! Just got a 2010 Toyota Tundra.... the Rabbit Squasher!

Blackwabit....

·
Premium Member
12,610 Posts
Take care! Hope you still have that second job for the gas you will need ;)

·
We're Geekin'
8,488 Posts
3 fill-ups = oil change if you are paying $100 (I pay $60 at my dealership)

5 fill-ups = rear brake pad replacement (using the price from my dealership $162)

Compared to the cost of gas maintenance doesn't seem to cost that much.

·
Premium Member
13,748 Posts
Toyota obviously has good sales people as well. They've convinced him that the maintenance on the Tundra is far less than the maintenance on the Rabbit. Tundras are nice trucks, and the gas mileage shouldn't be too bad if he keeps his foot light.

edit: good luck blackwabit

·
We're Geekin'
8,488 Posts
Toyota obviously has good sales people as well. They've convinced him that the maintenance on the Tundra is far less than the maintenance on the Rabbit. Tundras are nice trucks, and the gas mileage shouldn't be too bad if he keeps his foot light.

edit: good luck blackwabit
Yea, good luck, did you really need a truck for hauling stuff? Hopefully they fixed the gas pedal problem for you. The Tundra is rated at 15/19 for fuel economy. Lets just say same driving conditions where the Rabbit would get 24mpg the Tundra will get 17mpg

If you travel 10,000 miles in a year, assuming regular gas stays a constant $2.66 (Current National Average) you would spend the following amounts in fuel.

$1,108 for the Rabbit
$1,564 for the Tundra

So, $456 more in fuel for the Tundra. Subtract $200 for the expensive oil changes for the Rabbit (If doing 5k oil changes) and you are at $256 more for the Tundra. I don't expect you'd replace your rear brakes sooner than 20k. So lets extend this to 2 years of ownership and your savings would equal $512, assume an expensive $300(My dealer charges $162) rear brake job and you are still in the hole $212, just on fuel expenses alone, and we haven't included ANY maintenance for the Tundra. Not to mention the upside downness of your loan for the Rabbit, if you owed a significant amount on it still when you traded it in.

If your decision to trade the Rabbit in for the Tundra was strictly for savings in routine maintenance I think you were a little mis-guided in your decision. If you actually need a truck, then forget everything I said! :p

EDIT: I realize I didn't include the 20k 40k major services, however at best you'd break even with the gas savings before taking into the equation any maintenance for the Tundra.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I dont get why trade you rabbit for a tundra and thing it will be less expensive to own? I mean dude if you got a Toyota Yaris then okay you will get better gas mileage, and maintance wont be so rough, but Im thinking you just put yourself in the whole even more now.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
i was gonna get charged for 400$ which includes my 40 000km service and injector cleaning with brake flush

·
We're Geekin'
8,488 Posts
i was gonna get charged for 400$ which includes my 40 000km service and injector cleaning with brake flush
Injector cleaning???? You're in bagged milk country though...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
how much did you pay for an oil change??? wtf thats insane that you would pay that. just do it yourself, i figured it shouldn't be a tough job for ya since you drive a truck and all now lol.

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Usually a 10k service is 100 and they rotate tires, oil change, and wash the car. An oil change by itself is like 64 plus tax. Both of which I just use a 15 or 10 off coupon and Im good to go. Brakes Im not sure what this guy is talking about I have 34.1k on my fronts so far and I had the same caliper problem that he did in the rears. The rears now have 23k on them since they were all replaced and they still look like they have half the pad left. This might change a little bit when I get the bigger tires195 65 15 to 235 45 17 (225 is what I want but the 235s came with the rims) put on but not that much. Overall, the rabbit has been one of the cheapest cars to maintain. The only other maintenance was a brake fluid flush and alignment for tires thats it. Which should be about the same for any car you buy. Im not going to say my rabbit is the best car but I do not think maintenace on this car is unreasonable. I guess some ppl cant stand driving a VW.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts