Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear VW:

Although we appreciate the new models, might I ask why you no longer provide us with the TDI Golf? Indeed, you do provide us with TDIs, but only in sedans and SUVs. Why no hatchback?

In case you have not noticed, the statistics show that the hatchback is selling quite well in North America. There were 57 hatchback models sold in the U.S. during the 2007 model year, including the popular Toyota Prius hybrid. That's up from 35 models in 1997, according to data tracker Edmunds.com. Are you not interested in providing a hatchback that can successfully compete with the Prius on a performance/economy/simplicity basis?

Personally, I believe my Golf TDI to be one of the most versatile vehicles I have owned; wonderful performance, utility, and economy. Will I have to go to another manufacturer in order to purchase a comparable vehicle?

·
Registered
156 Posts
We bought our rabbit because we lost faith in VW bringing a TDI rabbit over.

We love the new rabbit, but really desire to have the efficiency and robustness/longevity of the diesel.

Whether VW manages to retain us as repeat customers really leverages on the matter of whether or not a diesel rabbit or equivalent hatch is available.

JMH

·
Premium Member
16,519 Posts
Agreed,

I want a diesel hatchback. Obviously there is a market for such vehicles, its up to you if you want to fill your customers needs.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have sworn to purchase a TDI Rabbit if it ever gets to the Americas, and if I am financially able to do so at the time.

I'd also seriously consider a Polo TDI. I know offhand that they're available in Australia...

Now, don't get me wrong, I love my bunny. But I'd love 45mpg in the same car a lot more.

·
Registered
77 Posts
At the autoshow I was told the reason there are no plans for TDI rabbits is the cost of the new clean diesels and the general cost of offering another major option like an engine. This would put the sticker out of VW's target range for the high volume/low margin rabbit. Compared to other VWs (which are generally lower voluem/higher margin sales), there are really not a lot of options for the rabbit which must be factory installed (small things like the wheels and i-pod armrest can be done at the dealer). This means they can basically crank out a whole bunch of identical cars at the factory. Providing a major option like an engine would hurt their economy of scale. (i'm no econ guru, this is just what i was told)

·
Registered
156 Posts
The rabbit may be high volume worldwide, but not in the US. The jetta outsells 5:1 and it will get a diesel before a rabbit.

EPA costs of doing the emissions/fuel economy tests on each platform/powertrain combo is pricey. Given limited sales of rabbits in the US, Id say that is the reason.

That said, being the fast mover on the block w.r.t. HE diesels puts you into an interesting market point.

VW tends to be more oriented towards meeting what folks want... thats why you can get an MT, sunroof, cd changer and steel wheels in a car. That sort of uplevel and downlevel equipment isnt normal in NA car offerings. Youd think that to meet another element of the market, they'd take the plunge on diesel.

Then again, at this point, the price of diesel is truly gouged. Given the capital cost of installing more HDS for the new clean diesel, the price ought to increase a bit, but not $1 more per gallon than regular gas...

I have heard that the diesel would be $2000 more. That starts to make the rabbit crossinto the price point of the jetta wagon, which likely is the more profitable item due to it being built in Mexico. That said, they are apples to oranges vehicles in a lot of ways.

JMH

·
Premium Member
12,610 Posts
If vw for 2009 stopped offering all models with gas engines and said their whole company is moving to diesel/biodiesel and is going to cut out using crude oil by 99%, I think big oil would be like WTF!!! and the consumer would win. Offer fuel for 20 cents a gallon home made and that solves big oil, less emissions, cheaper operating costs, more MPG, and a unique company.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If an 08 or 09 Rabbit Diesel was offered I would trade in my 08 bunny and take a loss. I would much rather have a Diesel. As well as a few other options that were not available on the 2 doors when I purchased mine. Like sunroof, fold down front seat, heated seats, color matched bump strips and an aux input even though I have an I-pod adapter. There are probably more, I just cant think of them right now. Thank you for listening.

Dannyj

·
Premium Member
16,519 Posts
I'm willing to spend more to get a TDI as well, however most people are just looking at what the sticker price would be compared to the gas Rabbit. Diesel are generally priced several thousand higher than their gas counterparts. Diesel fuel is generally 20-30 cents higher. So that turns off many customers. I think with proper advertising that place emphasis on the stronger points of the TDI motor they would sell well in the states.

·
It is what it is..
1,570 Posts
Hey VW, is it not possible for me to order a TDI Rabbit to US specs? I know you let people order vehicles as my first new car was a 2001 GTI 1,8T GLS. I waited 14 weeks for it to arrive, and i would wait as long as it took, and pay the extra premium for a diesel Rabbit. You are the only car company in North America that has always had the power to influence the advantages of diesel. TDI engines are powerful enough to get the job done, and they cost avg half as much in fuel per year. If you didnt know already, TDI badges earn respect where ever they go. If TDIs were available in the Rabbit, there would be a lot less Japanese and American hatchbacks running around. Being the only affordable diesel passenger car to the middle-class workforce, you would have my reservation for a TDI Rabbit with out question. Get that awesome marketing company to work their magic for the TDI. The public must know why diesel is better than gasoline.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If it ever comes...ill be chopping my current rabbit!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey VW, i can honestly tell you if you were to release the Rabbit TDI in the US, you'd make huge sales numbers! especially becuase even though i just bought a Rabbit, i would walk right over to the dealership and buy a TDI rabbit without question! you have it in Europe, you brought the Jetta TDI over, why not the Rabbit?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Will I have to go to another manufacturer in order to purchase a comparable vehicle?

See, that's the thing....no one else makes affordable diesels, so they know they have your business.....you'll either buy your gas Rabbit or a diesel jetta, but you can't take your diesel business elsewhere (at the moment)

What models is Honda making diesel?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I too will take a loss on my '08 Rabbit to get a diesel Rabbit. Mileage numbers for the '09 Jettas are looking good. Significant number of folks are reporting greater than 10% better than the EPA sticker. (44 to 48 MPG)

Checkout WWW.TDIclub.com for the numbers.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yea, I think my mom was interested in the sports wagon ;)

I would love for them to release a TDI rabbit. I would swap ASAP.

Jettas are pretty much identical to Rabbits - it can't be that hard or expensive to add a TDI Rabbit to the lineup.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If vw for 2009 stopped offering all models with gas engines and said their whole company is moving to diesel/biodiesel and is going to cut out using crude oil by 99%, I think big oil would be like WTF!!! and the consumer would win. Offer fuel for 20 cents a gallon home made and that solves big oil, less emissions, cheaper operating costs, more MPG, and a unique company.
*gives nitro a hug*

1 - 20 of 22 Posts