Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the window seals on my 1991 jetta 4 door are rotted and shrinking
ive done searches online and can find every pc of rubber for a mk1 but nothing for mk2
from what i have read online, it seems to have happened to all of the cars, not just mine.
vw has a nationwide parts search and can get only drivers side rain gutter pc for $300each. bottom scrapers not available-none, about 1/2 of the remaining window rubber for $100-$260each pc.
i missed a group buy on another forum. the parts are available coming from china. every pc of rubber - rain gutters, windshield, back window, window seals (they are a 1pc seal including the bottom scraper) and door seals, sunroof seal. very reasonably priced if you buy a lot.
oem parts.
i found another person looking to buy them but cant get enough interest in the past 4months.
i have read on some forums that people need these seals.
no ones making any money on this. im just trying to help him get interest to be able to get the seals i need.
if anyone on this forum is looking for any of these seals send me a message.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I might be interested... I have recently noticed that my 85 jetta lets in a ton of water into the back seat(s). I took the door panel off and sprayed the outside of the car to find where it was coming from and it looks to be from the bottom of the window in through the door and on to the back floor on both sides. Are these the same seals youre talking about?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had 85jt's type of problem in my '84 PUTTPUT, in the right-rear footwell. I resorted to a 6'x9' tarp which covered from the bottom of the windshield to the bottom of the back window, and held on with bungie cords, when it rained. I called it my "portable garage". I never got that problem solved, believing it to be perhaps clogged drains. Even a new sunroof seal did not fix it.
Now I have an 87 Wolfsberg "WWOLFIE". It got wet in that some corner about a year ago, but not in subsequent rain storms, such as they are in So. Cal.
I did see a posting a couple of years ago about fixing the drains by running some plastic tubing down them and into the wheel wells, where they are supposed to drain to. Then caulk up the top end with flexible silicone seal. I believe there is a drain in each of the four corners of the sunroof. Perhaps the factory tubing cracked, or pulled up out of the wheel well?
Now, I have found a different small trick for water in the doors. They have drains at the bottom of the doors, which can get clogged with dirt and crud. I found that a medium sized zip tie is flexible enough to open up those drains from the outside, with the door, open. In PUTTPUT I had quite a stream of water exit from one or more doors. Eureka!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts