Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...picked a Caddy today that was part of a bulk deal. Mentioned over in Lemon Snowball thread.

I probably have over 95% of the parts I need to put it back on the road...just missing the plate (not the ball and socket) that goes on the floor that the shifter parts then attach to...and windshield//rear glass. If nothing else the rear glass I'd just need to get the molding and a flat-pane made to size.

Biggest stickler is going to be the windshield. Using RockAuto as a reference the pickups share 1 part# for the glass with all the rest...basic rabbit 2 and 4 doors...cabriolets. Part #FW00399N with bracket...which shows as out of stock. However there is FW00332N without bracket for the base rabbit but it says it's NOT compatible.

Some input on what the difference is would be great since if the dimensions and arch of the glass are identical...shouldn't it work? Also what is meant by "bracket"?

·
Super Moderator
10,616 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also just noticed that they fixed QUICK REPLY to show up again.

So this truck being an 81 is still same as the 84s would see? RA gives the part #s with multiple tint options...most are OOS.

Found a Green//Blue windshield on ebay for 170$ which is reasonable but shipping is another 130 and would LIKE try and keep price down. Cash is a tad tight atm.

So the glue-in windshields would work...just need the molding right? I just want to make sure I have everything straight so I'm getting the right one.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I see it now. The part # is still identical between the 2. Just not sure what it means now by with and without bracket if its something needed or not

EDIT: Guess bracket refers to the rear view mirror mount. Looks like I have it figured out now. Won't be ordering one immediately though. Inside work to be done that will be easier without it for now. That one place CARS245 has REALLY nice price but unless they have a place HERE to ship from...would probably the 110$ purchase price THEN some to ship from the UK.

·
Super Moderator
10,616 Posts
No the 90ish cabs are all glue in, and they are nla. They are slightly larger than the OEM Rabbit, as the Gaskets and such are thinner. However you can use regular rabbit glass in the 90's Cabbies they have to be adjusted and roped in with the regular seals.

try http://cabby-info.com/Files/WindowGlass.pdf

·
Super Moderator
10,616 Posts
Ok I see it now. The part # is still identical between the 2. Just not sure what it means now by with and without bracket if its something needed or not

EDIT: Guess bracket refers to the rear view mirror mount. Looks like I have it figured out now. Won't be ordering one immediately though. Inside work to be done that will be easier without it for now. That one place CARS245 has REALLY nice price but unless they have a place HERE to ship from...would probably the 110$ purchase price THEN some to ship from the UK.
Yes usually the Bracket is referred to as the rear view mirror button.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts